Bangladeshi

Christchurch mosque shooting: 2 BD nationals killed, 3 missing

MNA Editorial Desk: State Minister for Foreign Affairs Md Shahriar Alam on Saturday confirmed that two Bangladeshi nationals were killed and three went missing in the attack on two mosques in New Zealand’s Christchurch.

Five people are undergoing treatment at hospital.

The state minister informed reporters of the revised death toll at a Diplomatic Correspondents Association of Bangladesh event.

At least 49 people were killed after a gunman opened fire on two mosques in Christchurch on Friday. Many others were injured, reports bdnews24.com.

Bangladesh Honorary Consul in Auckland Shafiqur Rahman Bhuiyan had said on Friday that three Bangladeshi nationals had been killed in the attack.

The state minister said that number had been based on initial reports from the expatriate community, but the toll had been revised down to two after the victim identified as ‘Mrs Samad’ was found alive.

Prof Abdus Samad of the Krishibid Institution Bangladesh and Hosne Ara Parvin were confirmed dead.

Bangladesh Honorary Consul in Auckland Shafiqur Rahman Bhuiyan and two officials from the Bangladesh High Commission in Australia have been dispatched to Christchurch to inquire after the wounded and the families of Bangladeshi victims and to provide any necessary services.

Three Bangladeshi nationals have been missing since the attack, Alam said. Five others have been hospitalised with wounds.

The missing have been identified as Mozammel Haque, Zakaria Bhuiyan and Shaon.

The wounded have been identified as Lipi, Muntasim, Sheikh Hassan Rubel, Shahjada Akhtar and Omor Farooq.

Lipi and Muntasim are in critical condition, the state minister said.

x

Check Also

Rohingya

HRW urges Bangladesh to stop expelling Rohingya students

MNA Editorial Desk: Bangladesh should cease the expulsions of Rohingya refugee students from schools and ...

Scroll Up