MNA International Desk: More than 40 people were killed or wounded on Wednesday as a massive blast ripped through Kabul’s diplomatic quarter, shattering the morning rush hour and bringing carnage to the streets of the Afghan capital.
Bodies littered the scene and a huge plume of smoke rose from the area which houses foreign embassies.
‘A car bomb’ exploded at 8:25 am, Najib Danish, an interior ministry spokesman. He said at least 40 people had been killed or wounded, but could not give a breakdown of the casualties.
A health ministry spokesman said more than 60 wounded people, mainly civilians, had been rushed to Kabul’s hospitals, adding: ‘We don’t know the number of killed yet’.
‘By God’s grace, Indian Embassy staff are safe in the massive #Kabul blast,’ India’s foreign minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted. The Indian embassy is among those close to the area.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the attack came as the resurgent Taliban are stepping up their annual ‘spring offensive’.