Woman burnt as headphones caught fire on flight

71
headphones

MNA Science & Tech Desk: A woman suffered burns to her face and hands after her headphones caught fire during a flight to Australia.

The passenger was listening to music on her own battery-operated headphones as she dozed on the flight from Beijing to Melbourne on February 19 when there was a loud explosion.

Flight attendants rushed to help and poured a bucket of water on the headphones, but the battery and its cover were both melted and stuck to the floor.

The transport safety bureau, which did not identify which airline was involved, assessed that the lithium-ion batteries in the device likely caught fire.

Many airlines last year barred all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smart phones over fire risk concerns, following reports of exploding batteries.